On December 22, 2020 the provincial government announced it would be providing $5 million in assistance to dine-in restaurants that have been affected by recent public health orders. Manitoba Chamber of Commerce was selected to administer the program on behalf of the government, and applications are now live.
Manitoba dine-in restaurants that made a significant shift to a delivery business model because of the recent health orders may be eligible for a rebate to offset eligible costs related to providing either in-house or third-party delivery services.
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for the grant, the following criteria must be met:
- The business or organization is a permanent, Manitoba-based entity operating in the Province of Manitoba.
- The business or organization was carrying on operations in Manitoba on November 2, 2020 (Winnipeg health region) or November 12, 2020 (Province wide health regions).
- The business or organization has fully closed its premises as a result of Manitoba COVID-19 Prevention Orders in effect on November 2, 2020 (Winnipeg health region) or November 12, 2020 (Province wide health regions), and any revisions to those orders.
- If you are a business – the business is not passive and carried on an active business as of November 2, 2020 (Winnipeg health region) or November 12, 2020 (Province wide health regions).
- The business or organization was not in arrears for taxes owing to Manitoba on March 20, 2020. (i.e., before the first state of emergency), and that have not since rectified the amount in arrears (note: this does not include businesses that have deferred tax remittances incurred between April and September 2020).
- The business or organization is in good standing with the Manitoba Companies Office.
- The business or organization had an active and valid business number prior to November 2, 2020 (Winnipeg health region) or November 12, 2020 (Province wide health regions).
What Costs are Eligible?
For the purpose of the program, eligible costs are defined as follows:
- the commission paid to a delivery service provider or, in areas where there is no external delivery service, the Participant’s actual delivery expenses, incurred and paid by the Participant during the Term; and
- does not include the amount of any GST and PST for which the Participant is entitled to any refund or credit, whether received, applied for or for which an application could be made.
How Do I Apply?
Applications can be made online at the following website:
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and eligible applicants will then be asked to provide support of their delivery costs from the relevant order date in November 2020 (November 2nd or 12th, depending on operating region), through to March 31, 2021. Approved costs will be reimbursed by way of electronic funds transfer.