On December 8, 2020, Premier Brian Pallister announced two changes to the Manitoba Bridge Grant Program:
1. Stream B – Home-Based Business Support
The Manitoba government announced a second stream of the Grant targeted to home-based businesses that were previously ineligible. This will include business’ such as event planners, photographers, artists, tradespeople etc.
Do I qualify?
To qualify for Stream B of the Manitoba Bridge Grant the following criteria must be met:
- be a permanent, home-based business located in Manitoba physically operating in the Province of Manitoba;
- have been actively operating or conducting business on November 9, 2020;
- operate as a sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation;
- possess an active and valid Business Number as of November 9, 2020
- be in good standing with the Manitoba Companies Office (not required for sole proprietors operating under their personal names who are not registered with the Companies Office);
- businesses started before January 1, 2020 must have filed a 2019 income tax return;
- businesses started after January 1, 2020 must provide a record of gross income generated in 2020;
- have an e-mail address and a valid business bank account with a Canadian financial institution;
- the business must be a home-based business;
- must operate on a full-time and permanent basis;
- must be actively operating or conducting business in Manitoba immediately prior to the implementation of applicable public health orders;
- must has filed a 2019 tax return (T1 for sole proprietors and partnerships or T2 for corporations);
- for businesses started after January 1, 2020– must have proof of gross income generated between January 1, 2020 and October 31, 2020.
- impacted by Manitoba COVID-19 Prevention Orders in effect as of November 12, 2020 or any revisions to those orders;
- operate in the region to which the public health order applies to:
- Interlake-Eastern Region
- Northern Region
- Prairie Mountain Region
- Southern Health-Santé Sud Region
- Winnipeg Metropolitan Region
If your business meets any of these criteria, you do NOT qualify:
- businesses that are not home-based businesses;
- businesses that do not operate on a full-time, permanent basis;
- businesses that were not impacted by COVID-19 Manitoba prevention orders;
- the following businesses are not eligible:
- agriculture or farming industries;
- real estate agents;
- self-employed sales persons or commissioned-based sales;
- health professionals;
- lawyers, paralegals, accountants, translators, veterinarians, engineers or geoscientists;
- businesses operating under a regulatory body of a profession;
- businesses that deals in securities or manages financial portfolios or that provides financial services;
- businesses that conduct multilevel marketing;
- businesses that do not exist for the purpose of carrying on an active business in Manitoba; – passive businesses are not eligible
How much is the Bridge Grant?
The applications for the second stream of the Grant can be submitted immediately. Stream B is the same dollar amount as the first – 10% of the most recent calendar year revenues to a maximum of $5,000.
2. An extended deadline
The deadline for the Manitoba Bridge Grant subsidy has been extended to December 31, 2020 for business’ that originally qualified and the newly qualified Stream B businesses.
For more information and to apply for Stream B: